Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Mathematics & My Teaching Philosophy


Mathematics in the Teacher Education program has shaped and informed my teaching practice and philosophy in a number of ways. I began this course with a somewhat strong background in Mathematics, stemming from my family that pushed me towards advanced Mathematics involving memorization of formulas to then apply to problems. I learned a great deal from this course, including and not limited to: encouraging exploration, problem-solving through group work, integrating technology, as well as resources to make math meaningful and engaging for students. The following reflection will address these key contributors to my learning and development as a future Mathematics educator.

            Although I have a strong background in Mathematics knowledge, I entered this course intimidated by the thought of teaching the subject through a student-centred approach; I now leave this course with a new-found confidence in teaching the Ontario Mathematics Curriculum effectively and on a cross-curricular level. This course has taught me that students learn best when they are given the creative freedom to explore problems and brainstorm strategies, without being exposed to a formula at the forefront. Also, through Smalls (2013), I learned a number of strategies, such as hands-on learning through the use of manipulatives, to help students avoid possible misconceptions related to various Mathematics topics. Furthermore, the SAMR (Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, Redefinition) and BUDS (Buddy Solve, Understanding Numbers, Deconstructing the Problem, and Strategy Identifier) models allowed for a deeper understanding of best practices for integrating technology and providing the best opportunities for learning in the classroom. Moreover, our progression through the unit and lesson planning assignments of this course has also better prepared me to cater my teaching practice to diverse learning needs, abilities, and interests, as well as effective spiraling of student knowledge.

            With regards to activities we participated in, I found each lesson to be packed with engaging and fun methods for teaching Mathematics, adaptable for any subject. For example, after conducting research during class about the ways Makerspace, specifically Ozobots, can positively impact student engagement, I found myself drawn towards integrating them in my microteaching lesson. I taught my students about regular and irregular shapes using the Ozobots as incentive to construct their own regular shapes, addressing Ontario Curriculum expectations. This course provided me with the confidence to step out of my comfort zone and take risks. Another example I am enthusiastic about integrating in the classroom is the Math Olympics. I found this strategy impactful at all stages of learning, a creative form of assessment that promotes team-building and critical thinking. Furthermore, the Escape Room and Scavenger Hunt activities got us out of our seats and promoted connections to real-world problems. Through these activities, we were exposed to a variety of applications and pieces of technology useful as further methods of differentiation; I specifically enjoyed working with QR codes and learning about applications such as Explain Everything, tools I hope to use in practicum and my future teaching career. 

Although my teaching philosophy is a work in progress, I am an advocate for Dewey’s theory that students learn best by doing. This course has taught me that students learn best when they understand the importance of the material they are learning, as well as participate in problem-solving and discussion with their peers. I hope to inspire lifelong learning and transference of skills through discovery both inside and outside of the classroom. I plan to provide students with opportunities to explore and support them to the best of my abilities. I also believe that human connection and relationships are just as important in the classroom as they are outside of the classroom. I want my students to know that I believe in them and care about their wellbeing. I believe that students deserve to learn in a space where they feel safe, respected, and are inspired to grow as lifelong learners.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathematics & My Teaching Philosophy

Mathematics in the Teacher Education program has shaped and informed my teaching practice and philosophy in a number of ways. I began this...