Thursday, September 13, 2018

The "Turn-it-Around" Technique

What?

The "turn-it-around" method involves providing students with the answer, asking them to explore various problem-solving strategies, and encouraging them to brainstorm possible problems that may result in the answer provided. Through this activity, students are encouraged to construct their own knowledge while developing their conceptual understanding and mathematical thinking.

So What?

The readings this week emphasized the importance of problem-solving and this classroom activity allowed for us to see such problem-solving techniques in action. My educational experience generally involved the traditional approach to mathematics whereby I would be presented with a formula and a problem to apply it to. I thoroughly enjoyed collaborating with my peers as we worked backwards and attempted to create a word problem that emphasized real-world applications.

Now What?

I am interested in applying such a technique in the classroom because it encourages students to think outside of the box, utilize their prior knowledge of problem-solving strategies, and promotes collaboration. This activity also encourages students to explore problem-solving strategies that meet their individual needs and interests. For example, a students who is a visual learner may prefer that I provide manipulatives for them to utilize in this activity. Overall, I am enthusiastic about learning about the various problem-solving techniques mathematics has to offer. I hope to aid in the development of my students' problem-solving skills that they will use throughout their lives.

The following images are of the answer provided for my group alongside the word problem we created:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathematics & My Teaching Philosophy

Mathematics in the Teacher Education program has shaped and informed my teaching practice and philosophy in a number of ways. I began this...